-
August 29th, 2002, 08:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
My camera's top frame rate is 45. I'm searching for a faster camera to supplement for slow-mo. The Beaulieu ZM 4 goes to 80, but that camera's tough to find and probably fetches and arm and a leg.
So my question for MOVIESTUFF, or any other mad scientist who's reading this - can you modify a camera's motor to reach such a frame rate?
-
August 30th, 2002, 06:52 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Modifying a camera is probably not the way to go. Even if you find a camera tech who can do it it'll probably cost you more than the Beaulieu. If you DIY you run the risk of destroying your camera.
Cameras Pro and Pro8mm rent Beaulieus.
If you are going to finish on video I'd just film at 45fps and then double that in post. It should still look smooth.
Actually 45 fps is normal for most slo mo. I'm curious as to why you want such a fast rate.
-
August 30th, 2002, 08:50 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I do figure it is a financial and technical risk. If someone were to offer the modification though, it would be on a different camera. My existing camera has already been modified for 24 crystal - I don't wanna mess with it any further. It'd be a cheaper camera for the frame rate adjustment.
Super slow for shots such as water spilling from its container, splashing, etc. Just one of those personal preferences - 45 isn't adequate, but might have to be. Ben Franklin and Andrew Jackson used to be my buddies. Now they're dissappearing.
Oh well.
-
August 31st, 2002, 09:33 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Yah, for water splilling or something, you'd probably have to get something faster than 60fps.
I wonder what's the fastest frame rate for a super 8 camera.
Has anyone seen those slow motion sequences on like.. the discovery channel of a hummingbird flying, or someone sneezing, that's amazing! It must be like 500 fps of higher.
Jeffery
-
August 31st, 2002, 10:16 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Hi!
Sorry for the late reply. On some cameras it would be possible to increase the speed but doing so will naturally lead to a less stable picture. I agree with previous posts that it would not be advisable, even if possible, on a "good" camera. If I were going to consider it, I would get some sort of utilitarian camera that could be thrown away if something goes wrong during surgery.
Now, beyond that, if you are going to post on video, I would highly recommend looking into a piece of cheap software like Motion Perfect. It can be found here:
http://www.dynapel.com/private/mp_video.htm
This stuff has been mentioned before and it's pretty cool. It will actually synthesize new frames inbetween your existing frames. It does it by looking at each of the previous and subsequent frames, pixel by pixel, and generating a new frame with moving objects actually in an "inbetween" position, as opposed to just interpolating fields or doubling frames.
Check out the demo video of the car crash where it generated a staggering 19 frames between each of the original frames. Pretty handy and should effectively make your 45 seem like 90 pretty easily, or even faster. The software is cheap at only $49.95 or something. Renders slow, though.
Roger
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 31, 2002 07:17 PM: Message edited by: MovieStuff ]</font>
-
September 1st, 2002, 12:50 AM
#6
Inactive Member
I'm not sure how much gain in speed you really need or if it has to be filmed in Super 8 but a Bolex Regular 8 camera can yield you 64 fps. It's a great camera and can usually be had for less than $100.00 on ebay. Just another suggestion.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks